Thursday, July 23, 2009

Allah in Arabic... and my last Moroccan post.


  Back in class on Monday morning we had a review for our Arabic final.  Although  I wasn't mentally prepared at all, and really struggled with learning the language, I was so shocked by how much I actually know.  I can read and write it, I can understand a lot of what is spoken, and although I lack the confidence to use the language to communicate with others, in a pinch, I could probably get by.
  In retrospect, I was really impressed with how valuable a tool the language was to accessing the culture.  The language is so nuanced, and so specific to the cultural, religious and political intersections that exist in Morocco that not knowing the language would have prevented us from accessing the culture as much as we have.  
  It is really impressive to look at the religious undertones of the language.  In greetings, for example, you greet someone.  Assalam Alakum, which means God's peace be with you.  When you ask how someone is, they respond bexhair, alhamdu illulah, I'm fine, thank God.  Even if you're sick you'd say, "I'm sick, but thank God."  You ask how someone is, how their family is, wish them well, all invoking God as the higher power, and when you part you say good-bye and that you will see each other soon if God wills it.  
 On our last day in class, our teacher sang the Middle Eastern version of the call to prayer.  We were literally moved to tears.  The people in Morocco really acknowledge how powerful God is in their lives.  They internalize his importance in their lives, embrace it, and you can tell how deeply people identify with their faith by how willingly they give everything up to Him.  Oussama really showed us how remarkable this religious identity can be when it is expressed so freely, the paradox being that it is so intimate but also so communal and public at the same time.  Coming from a place where public expression of faith and love for God is discouraged, being in Morocco has really been a beautiful experience because of how love for God is not only encouraged, but it is the cultural norm.  

1 comment: