Monday, June 29, 2009

The State of Foreign Affairs



29 June 2009 

Monday, we set off for Marrakesh, and basically just got there in time for dinner, but we stayed in a really nice hotel, so we were pretty satisfied with that.  The only thing is, that I was hoping that our trip here would be more like the time I spent in Cambodia.  We travel around here and are so removed from the local people.  We have been separated from all the sights and sounds and smells of the country for the majority of the time that we have been here.  For the most part, our director has told us that it is a security issue.  There are so many of us- higher profile because we are American teachers- and traveling on Uncle Sam’s dime that all hell would break loose if something happened to us.  Our tour guides are driving me crazy because they're such flirts and they're relentless. Our bus driver, on the other hand, I trust with my life.  He is always on time, he is always in a good mood, and he talks to us in a mixture of Arabic and French.  I keep joking that he is the only Moroccan man that I trust so far… and I don’t know that that is a stretch of the imagination in any sense. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment