Friday, June 26, 2009

Meknes



I couldn't leave you hanging with that bit on my desire to get out of this University. Yesterday we went to Meknes, the old, old, old Royal city that was founded three-four thousand years ago by mainly Berber people. When the Moroccan empire was founded, the king came to Meknes and made it the capital city. After that point, it became a center of Moroccan culture and learning. It is one of the oldest imperial cities in the country, and has a large (for Morocco) Jewish presence, reminiscent of the Roman occupation.
A few people asked me before I left, and I didn't know enough to clarify, but since I have been learning alot about Morocco, I have learned alot about the Berbers and who they are. So, here's the answer to the question that someone asked about who the "Berber" people are. Berbers are the indigenous people of Morocco, but hardly anyone can call themselves 100% Berber anymore because Morocco has become so diverse after such a long period, that peoples ancestories are all over the map. But, the people who were born in rurual areas speaking local dialects, in my experience have called themselves "Berbers."
So, we arrived in Meknes with a huge desire to explore and experience the city, and we hopped on a bus to the city shortly after arriving. I must have been really excited because I was one of the first ones to drop my bags and run downstairs. In the hussle, I forgot my camera. As soon as we got to the gate, I was sooooo bummed and it must have been evident, because our travel coordinator asked me what was wrong. I told him and before I knew it, I was being whisked in a taxi through the city to get my camera from the hotel. After less than ten minutes, we found the rest of the group and visited the mausoleum  in the city. It was truly beautiful, so we got out to take some photos and get this... my camera battery died. Perfect. After all that. God was for sure laughing at me that afternoon. Bretty Lou... guess what??? I got you a prize and it is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. what is ittt!!! get back to me. i miss you. p.s. you must know a lot is two words, teach. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try using the Arabic keyboard, then talk. Finally have my laptop running, so that should minimize spelling mistakes. Brat.

    ReplyDelete